Area 6 / Heartland
Area 6 was founded in 1977 and provides programming for people in the counties of DeWitt, Livingston, Mason, McLean, Peoria, Tazewell and Woodford.
There are many opportunities available for you to get involved with Special Olympics including serving as a volunteer or committee member, helping with fundraising or competing as an athlete. If you live in the Area and want to find out more about the local program, please contact the Area Director.
Area Director: Jill Bertelsen
605 E. Willow St.
Normal, IL 61761
Aquatics, Athletics, Basketball, Basketball Individual Skills, Bocce, Unified Bocce, Bowling, Figure Skating, Golf, Golf Individual Skills, Unified Golf, Gymnastics, Motor Activities Training Program (MATP), Powerlifting, Snowshoeing, Soccer, soccer Individual Skills, Softball, Softball Individual Skills, Speed Skating, Tennis, Unified Tennis, Volleyball, Unified Volleyball
Neon at Night 5K Fun Run
Enjoy a 5K run through Illinois State’s campus at night. This event is co-sponsored by CAST and Campus Recreation.
- Race will start and end at the ISU Student Fitness Center
- Register at Alumni.IllinoisState.edu/neonrun
- $15 for ISU Students, $20 for ISU Faculty/Staff and Community. Beginning March 25, the entry fee will increase to $20 for ISU Students, $25 for ISU Faculty/Staff and Community
PARS Special Olympics Fundraiser
The Parks and Recreation Society (PARS), a registered student organization at ISU, is proud to host a fundraiser for Special Olympics in conjunction with SciTech Week and the Neon at Night 5K Fun Run. Want to help? There are three ways you can participate!
- Eat at Potbelly on Main Street in Normal any time between 5-8pm on Wednesday, April 8. Potbelly will be donating 25% of their proceeds to Special Olympics. It’s the perfect place to grab a bite to eat before the race!
- The faculty in Kinesiology and Recreation (PARS’s home department) have agreed to participate in a pie-throwing event! Find the PARS table in McCormick the week of March 30-April 3 or April 6-8. Every donation will go directly to Special Olympics. The pie throwing will occur at 6:30pm on Wednesday, April 8th.
- Find the PARS table at the Neon at Night 5K event and donate on-site.
This will be a fun day where volunteers will get to interact with athletes as they compete in track and field events. A wide variety of volunteers are needed to help time track events, measure throws and jumps, present awards, serve lunch, help with set up and clean up. For volunteer job descriptions click here.
We all work together as a team to make it a great competition experience! We will have key volunteers on-site to give you training and support!
This event is not open to the public.