What is the Plane Pull?
The Plane Pull features the ultimate tug-of-war competition, as teams of up to 20 battle a UPS Airbus A300, weighing more than 190,000. That’s right, the plane weighs more than 90 tons! Each team raises a minimum of $1,000 to participate (only 450 per person for a team of 20). Special Olympics Illinois and the Law Enforcement Torch Run will host the 7th Annual Plane Pull at O’Hare International Airport on September 19. The 2014 event was a record-breaking success, as 83 teams participated and more $150,000 was raised for the athletes of Special Olympics Illinois!
A special thanks to UPS, the Chicago Department of Aviation, City of Chicago, HMS Host and Durham School Services for their continued support of this event.
Teams compete in one of three divisions:
- Open Division (ideal for companies, school teams, gyms, crossgits, clubs, friends and families)
- Public Safety Division (law enforcement officers, fire fighters, paramedics, DNR, DOC and military personnel; teams need at least 10 public safety competitors to qualify)
- Hotel Division (new last year, and back by popular demand, we have created a division solely for groups in the hotel industry)
2014 Event Results
Thank you to everyone who helped make the 2014 Law Enforcement Torch Run Plane Pull the biggest and best yet! A record 84 teams participated in this ultimate tug-of-war competition, battling a UPS Airbus A300 (weighing more than 190,000 lbs.). Additionally, nearly $150,000 was raised for the athletes of Special Olympics Illinois! We are truly grateful for your support, as events like the Plane Pull allow us to provide life-changing opportunities for the thousands of Special Olympics athletes throughout the state.
A special thanks to UPS, the Chicago Department of Aviation, City of Chicago, HMS Host, Durham School Services, TD Ameritrade and Vacationland RV for their support of this event.
- Open Division: Meade 1, 10.03 seconds
- Public Safety Division: Lake Co. Sheriff’s Plane Pullers, 10.84 seconds
- Hotel Division: Hilton Chicago O’Hare Airport Blue Energy Team, 12.25 seconds
- Grand Champion: Meade 1
- Top Individual Fundraiser: Abby Riesenbeck, Team Cassie “Debbie”
- Top Fundraising Team: Niles Police Department
- Team Spirit Award: Transition into Aktion
Questions on this event? Please contact Matt Johnson.