What is the Plane Pull?
The Plane Pull features the ultimate tug-of-war competition, as teams of up to 20 battle a UPS Airbus A300 or United Airlines 737, weighing about 190,000 pounds. That’s right, the planes weigh about 90 tons! Each team raises a minimum of $1,000 to participate (only $50 per person for a team of 20). Special Olympics Illinois and the Law Enforcement Torch Run will host the 7th Annual Plane Pull Sept. 19 at O’Hare International Airport. The addition of a second plane to the event means the pulling location has moved to the Old Signature Ramp. Directions to be posted closer to the event.
A special thanks to UPS, United Airlines, the Chicago Department of Aviation, City of Chicago, HMS Host, Durham School Services, Barilla Pasta and IlliniCare Health for their support of this event.
Teams compete in one of three divisions:
- Open Division (ideal for companies, school teams, gyms, crossfits, clubs, friends and families)
- Public Safety Division (law enforcement officers, fire fighters, paramedics, DNR, DOC and military personnel; teams need at least 10 public safety competitors to qualify)
- Hotel Division (solely for groups in the hotel industry)
2015 Event Results
Thank you to everyone who helped make the 2015 Law Enforcement Torch Run Plane Pull the best yet! More than 80 teams participated in this ultimate tug-of-war competition, battling a UPS Airbus A300 or a United Airlines 737. Additionally, more than $150,000 was raised for the athletes of Special Olympics Illinois! We are truly grateful for your support, as events like the Plane Pull allow us to provide life-changing opportunities for the thousands of Special Olympics athletes throughout the state. View complete Plane Pull results here.
- Open Division: Meade 1
- Public Safety Division: Niles Police Department
- Hotel Division: Hilton Chicago O’Hare Blue Team
- Grand Champion: Meade 1
- Top Fundraising Team: Niles Police Department
- Team Spirit Award: Team Clover Mini Minion
Questions on this event? Please contact Matt Johnson.
- 2015 Plane Pull Team Captain Guide
- 2015 Plane Pull Sample Donation Letter
- 2015 Plane Pull Offline Donation Tracking Form
- Donor Drive Fundraising Guide
- 2015 Plane Pull Flier
- 2015 Plane Pull Waiver
- 2015 Plane Pull Event Day Information
- 2015 Plane Pull Team Schedule – Updated 9-16-15
- 2015 Plane Pull Results