It is important that Special Olympics Illinois is aware of all upcoming Torch Run Events. This will allow us to help promote your events on our website as well as ensure proper insurance coverage.
To provide insurance please ensure the following items are completed:
- Special Olympics Illinois must sponsor or co-sponsor all events. This means that the LETR logo MUST be included on all collateral for the event. Download logos here.
- Organizers must informing Special Olympics Illinois about the event being planned with at least 4 weeks prior to the event. To do so, please complete this Event Notification Form.
- All Risk Management Guidelines must be followed.
What if an Emergency Occurs?
In the event of an emergency such as an illness, accident or death, the situation must be dealt with in a calm manner. The following steps should be used in dealing with emergency situations.
- Prior to any event, the Leg Leader should assemble a complete list of participant’s names, who to contact in case of an emergency and officials to contact to handle an emergency.
If an accident occurs, the Leg Leader should…
- Get medical help for the injured person(s).
- Notify the Illinois Torch Run Director, LETR liaison Jim Fitzpatrick and Special Olympics Illinois President and CEO Dave Breen at 1-800-394-0562.
- Complete a Special Olympics Incident Report form and send/fax to Special Olympics Illinois office in Normal.
- Allow emergency personnel to handle questions from the media regarding the status of the situation.
- The Special Olympics Illinois president should handle all other questions regarding the incident.
- If the media or anyone else asks questions that you do not have an answer for, simply say “That information is not known at this time” and refer questions to a designated spokesperson.