Area 16 / Starved Rock
Area 16 was founded in 1976 and provides programming for people in the counties of Bureau, Grundy, Henry, LaSalle, Marshall, Putnam and Stark.
There are many opportunities available for you to get involved with Special Olympics including serving as a volunteer or committee member, helping with fundraising, or competing as an athlete. If you live in the Area and want to find out more about the local program, please contact the Area Director.
Allison Nichols – Area Director
P.O. Box 317
Utica, IL 61373
A TOUR FOR ALL
Join the fun of the Pumpkin Pedal!! This is a wonderful ride for families and serious riders. This year’s 10, 20 & 26 mile trail rides will be entirely on the Great Western Trail. The 40 & 62 mile road rides will be on roads.
If you pre-register to ride with 5 or more team riders, you will all receive long-sleeved T-shirts. When registering you must choose the team rider ticket option and include the team’s name. Without the team name on your registration, we won’t know you are a team rider and you won’t receive a long-sleeved T-shirt.
Besides the fun you’ll have and the great people you’ll meet, you’ll be riding to help Special Olympics athletes. Your entry will support year-round training for Illinois athletes with intellectual disabilities.
JUST ENJOY THE RIDE
All you have to do is bring your bike and helmet, your family, your friends and pedal!! We’ll take care of the rest! You’ll find:
- Rest stops with snacks
- Emergency mechanical support
- A delicious post-ride meal at Sycamore Speedway from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. A vegetarian option will be available.
HEALTH & SAFETY
Our main concern!! Please observe the following:
- Bike helmets required!
- Stay to the right.
- Pass cyclists and walkers on the left and say “passing on your left”.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Do not ride 2 or more abreast.
- STOP at all road crossings.
- Children under 16 must ride with an adult.
- Stop at stop signs and yield Right of Way.
- Follow all Rules of the Road which apply to both cars and cyclists.