Assistant Director – Social & Digital Media Marketing
The Assistant Director – Social & Digital Media Marketing is primarily responsible for
co-developing and executing overall strategy for social media and digital (website) marketing
efforts in order to assist Special Olympics Illinois in achieving the Big Three Key Objectives.
Helping to lead in the development and implementation of Special Olympics Illinois digital and
social media marketing strategies in order to drive brand as well as individual event goals and
objectives. The Assistant Director – Social & Digital Media Marketing must be able to create
consistent, meaningful content on all digital and social media platforms tied to marketing and
communications strategies that they helped create as well as onsite at our events. The Assistant
Director – Social & Digital Media Marketing will be working closely with all Special Olympics
Illinois employees, board members, athletes, volunteers and sponsors.
Assistant Director Core Roles:
• Scope of Responsibility: This position category has either shared or partial
responsibility over a specified function or project within a department of the organization,
including some or all elements having to do with that specified function or project. This position
category has a moderate to high level of responsibility for elements of this specified function or
project within a department of the organization. This position category has direct oversight from
the departmental Director or another second-level supervisor.
• Conduct: Asst. Directors must demonstrate the mission, vision and values of Special
Olympics Illinois through consistent adherence to Special Olympics Illinois Values & Behaviors and
Working Together Competencies; by exercising a high level of cooperative, friendly, and effective
teamwork skills; by resolving conflict directly, effectively, and professionally; and by committing
to support and be helpful to other team members and departments within the organization.
• Performance: Satisfactory work performance requires consistently strong work product
output, including the successful execution and completion of all job duties and goals; autonomy, ownership,
competence and excellence of work product; innovation and process improvement; effective resource
management; professional development; and compliance with accepted organizational and legal rules,
regulations, and policies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Build, execute, and manage our social media strategy through research, benchmarking,
messaging, and audience identification.
• Develop, maintain, and own responsibility for all company social media pages and profiles.
• Develop and implement marketing plan and calendar to drive traffic to all digital/social
• Work closely with Assistant Director – Technology on website marketing, design, navigational
ease and growth.
• Align Marketing and Social to conceptualize, produce and distribute digital content for SOILL
• Create and publish content daily. Includes copywriting, designing, and creation of all assets
for digital and social marketing programs, including email marketing and social media ads.
• Write and distribute monthly e-news to Special Olympics Illinois constituents.
• Write articles covering organization activities, programs and partnership announcements –
must feel comfortable interviewing by phone and in-person.
• Cover events. Writes web posts about the event and support social media posts about the
• Develop digital marketing programs including email marketing (growing database as well),
each, SEM & Google for Nonprofits.
• Support Special Olympics, Inc. with digital and social media programs and events.
• Build meaningful connections and encourage community members through dialog and messaging
both online and offline.
• Contribute to thought leadership for social & digital communications strategy.
• Communicate with industry professionals and influencers via social media to create a strong
• Define most important social media KPIs and deliver timely, insightful and actionable
analyses for all social media activity. Utilize this information to positively affect future
outcomes. This includes tracking and analyzing followers, traffic, demographics, and campaign
• Actively monitor performance across social and digital channels on a daily basis,
ensuring campaigns are executed flawlessly and performance is in line with expectations
• Be a key component, involving the brainstorming and implementation of ideas based on the
needs, objectives & feedback of key organizational stakeholders, to overall SOILL branding as well
as major events
• Manage social media communities across platforms for our brand
• Manage marketing strategy for SOILL across all social and digital channels.
• Establish best practices on how to optimize content (video, imagery, GIF, etc.) across
• Stay abreast of evolving landscape and industry trends and bring forth ideas to stay
competitive in the social & digital universe.
• Track and monitor the success of online digital marketing initiatives, including e-mail
marketing as well as how it affects website traffic and conversions
Qualifications/Skills and Knowledge Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or other related field.
• Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills. Experience with written
articles and blog post or similar types of ling formats.
• 3 – 5+ years’ professional experience in Social Media and Digital Marketing
• Understanding of web metrics, digital media testing methodology and optimization
• Excellent, adaptive computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office products
• Ability to work independently without close oversight, but also a team player who
productively engages with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Special Olympics
• High energy and passion for Special Olympics mission
• Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions,
helps team to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
• Customer focus
• Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
• Professional and resourceful style; the ability to take initiative and to manage
multiple tasks and projects
• Based in Lombard, Illinois office
• Monday through Friday with frequent evenings and weekends as position demands
• Independent in-state travel required, including some overnight and weekend travel as an
essential function of position
• Medium work required, which involves lifting no more than 50 pounds at a time with
frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds; includes sedentary and light work
• Close visual acuity required to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data
and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection
involving small defects, small parts, and/or operation of machines; operating motor vehicles
• First Aid/CPR Training and Certification required; must be able and willing to
effectively administer First Aid/CPR on-site during events
• Valid driver’s license and proof of insurance required
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com