Family Leadership Program Off to a Great Start
Special Olympics Illinois is excited to introduce our newest team of Family Ambassadors! A Family Leadership workshop was held Saturday, May 14, in Lincolnshire to further engage and educate family members about opportunities as Family Ambassadors. There were 11 families in attendance, with a total of 25 family members including 2 siblings, 7 athletes and 16 parents.
Special Olympics Illinois realizes the importance of families to help advance the goals of Improving the Athlete Experience, Reaching More Athletes and Raising More Money. These passionate and dedicated families have volunteered to help expand, engage and recognize families statewide to inspire new involvement and help build a better Special Olympics program.
Here are some of the comments from these families on how they’d like to help:
- “I’d like to get involved in speaking to groups/corporations on the benefits of Special Olympics” – Steve Cerve, Vernon Hills
- “We love to volunteer at events, fundraisers, etc., as well as educate families on the benefits of Special Olympics.” – The Stoklosa Family, Wheeling
- “I would love to talk to other families about Special Olympics to spread the word on how much it has impacted our lives.” – Pam Lorenz, Peotone
- “Help with talking to families that are not involved with Special Olympics, but have questions/interest whether Special Olympics is right for their children and share our story about how it has impacted my son as well as our whole family and family friends.” – Scott Lorenz, Peotone
- “I’ll try to help in anything that you need! Whatever you need! I am a coach and have been recruiting that way, also as a Family Ambassador and mentoring.” – Diane and Greg Compton, Countryside
- “Whatever it takes!” – Ryan Compton, Countryside, sibling
It takes each of us to make a difference for all of us. This is a great opportunity to acknowledge and act upon our shared values, interests and passions with families. The energy, enthusiasm and dedication they show is crucial to the success and fulfillment of dreams for many Special Olympics athletes across our state.
Additional Family Ambassador workshops will be scheduled in the fall in other parts of the state. If you are interested in sharing your passion with other families and with Special Olympics, please contact us at Families@soill.org or Karen Milligan at 309-888-2551. Like the Special Olympics Illinois Families page on Facebook.