LETR Revenue Collection Procedures
A best practice is to submit all donations and raffle stubs to Special Olympics Illinois within two weeks. All donations MUST be submitted within a maximum of 30 days to Special Olympics Illinois. This is extremely important so that we can ensure accurate projection for the year and ensure all checks are processed in a timely manner.
To submit funds please follow the below procedures:
Cash/Check Submission Procedure
The Illinois Law Enforcement Torch Run Committee adopted an in-house collection policy in 1988. The revenue collection and reporting procedure is broken down into the following steps:
- A department/agency representative receives a donation. Donations of the same type (Harley Raffle Ticket, Camper Raffle Tickets, Merchandise Sale, or General Donation) may be entered on one line via the Donor Form as long as all donations are under $100. If a donation is for $100 or more, ensure that the donor’s name, address and donation amount are recorded on their own row on the donor form.
- The department/agency representative must fills out the bottom portion of the Donor form indicating their name, leg and department. Please be consistent with your department name. Return donor forms along with all donations and raffle stubs to Special Olympics Illinois or your leg leader. Completed forms, donations and raffle ticket stubs should be sent to Special Olympics Illinois every two. DO NOT hold onto raffle stubs. They must be submitted along with the corresponding donation. Please Note: All money must be submitted by December 3, 2021.
- All donor forms should be checked for completeness prior to submission to Special Olympics Illinois. All money and donor form amounts must match when turned in. DO NOT SEND CASH. Convert all cash donations listed on the donor form to a single money order or check. Write the words remitter cash, followed by your name on the money order/check. If NON CASH donations are converted to a money order or check written by someone other than the donor, write remitter check followed by your name on the money order/check. On the donor form write RC next to the donation(s) included in the money order/check. DO NOT include converted cash and non-cash donations in the same money order/check.
- Special Olympics will update revenue totals and alert Leg Leaders and/or Department Liaisons as to any discrepancies in donations received versus donations listed on the donor form.
- Special Olympics Illinois will send a thank you to each donor of $100 and above (cash or check as long as completed address is included on donor form).
- Donations should be mailed every two weeks to maintain timeliness.
Credit Card Donations
Special Olympics Illinois will no longer accept credit card donations via paper form. All credit card donations must be made via the Bank of America Clover Go smartphone application. ANY CREDIT CARD DONATIONS SUBMITED ON PAPER FORM WILL NOT BE PROCESSED due to Special Olympics Illinois audit requirements.
To utilize the Clover Go application in your fundraising strategy please follow the below steps:
- Email TorchRun@soill.org and request a user name, password and pin for your department/agency. Only 1 user name will be issued per department and can be used on multiple devices.
- Special Olympics Illinois will provide you instructions on how to utilize the app when supplying your department/agency with login information.
- All donations received via your login will directly be credited to your department/agency Torch Run Totals. We do ask that you include a total on your donor form.
Due to Special Olympics Illinois policy, certain aspects of revenue collection must be maintained:
- Checks should be made out to Special Olympics Illinois
- No pledges are accepted and there is no billing after the event.
- DO NOT send cash. Use a check or money order for cash received.
- DO NOT open accounts under the Special Olympics or Law Enforcement Torch Run name for holding funds. The non-profit status of Special Olympics Illinois could be jeopardized by such actions.