Region E Senior Basketball Teams
What Is Basketball?
One of the most popular sports in Illinois, basketball provides competition for both teams and individuals. Five-on-five team competition is available in Junior, High School and Senior Male (Coed) and Senior Female age groups. Individuals can compete in the Basketball Individual Skills Competition to develop basic basketball skills. Events include the Target Pass, 10-Meter Dribble and Spot Shot events.
Athletes in Illinois who participate in team competition, compete locally at a Region Qualifying event. Individual Skills participants also compete locally in Region Qualifying events. Teams or individuals who win a gold medal are eligible to advance to the State Basketball Championships held in Normal in March.
Basketball Events Offered in Illinois
- 5-on-5 Team Competition – Junior, High School and Senior age groups
- Individual Skills Competition – Target Pass, 10-Meter Dribble, Spot Shot
Basketball teams competition consisting of a round robin tournament with teams of 5-15 players.
Please triple check the schedule to make sure your teams go to the right location. If your agency has multiple teams, they may not be at the same location.
- Appropriate athletic attire is required. Athletes wearing jeans will not be allowed to play.
- Awards will be distributed as divisions finish.
- Spectators are allowed. Concessions may or may not be available for purchase at both locations. We are still confirming with our facilities.
- Depending on stock after weekend 1 of basketball (HS teams & North Skills), we may or may not have souvenirs for purchase.
Region E Senior teams will be split in two locations, based on divisions. Teams will either play at Richards High School (10601 Central Ave, Oak Lawn, IL 60453) or Oak Lawn Community High School (9400 SW Hwy, Oak Lawn, IL 60453).
7:15 AM – Volunteer Check-in
7:30 AM – Team Check-in
8:15 AM – Warm Ups
8:30 AM – Competition
Please check back closer to the event for more information.
Awards will be given after each divisions is completed.
- Teams who win first place in their division qualify for State Basketball, March 8-10 in Bloomington, Illinois.
- Entries for State Basketball are due by noon on February 6th, 2023. Please send these entries to me and/or Christa (email@example.com)
Lunch will be provided.
Who We Are
Special Olympics Illinois is a not-for-profit sports organization offering year-round training and competition in 18 sports to a community of more than 55,000 traditional athletes, Young Athletes, Unified partners, coaches, volunteers, and more. It strives to be a global leader in shaping a culture where people with and without intellectual disabilities are fully integrated into the community by providing year-round opportunities in competitive sports, health education, leadership and personal development.
If you are interested in being a part of Special Olympics Illinois and its vision, contact your local region, call 800-394-0562 or visit our website. Follow Special Olympics Illinois on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok and X.