Region E South Spring Games – Manteno High School
Athletics offers a wide variety of traditional track and field events. Competition is also provided for athletes with lower ability levels in a variety of development track and field events.
As in all Special Olympics sports, athletes are grouped into competition divisions according to ability level, age and gender when appropriate.
Athletes in Illinois who compete in athletics compete locally at their Region Spring Games.
Athletics Events Offered in Illinois
- 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500 and 3000 Meter Run
- 100, 400 and 800 Meter Race Walk
- Running Long Jump
- High Jump
- Shotput and Wheelchair Shotput
- Relays – 4X100 and 4X400 Meter Run, 4×25 Meter Wheelchair and 4×100 Meter Walk
- Pentathlon (100, 400 Meter Run, Running Long Jump, High Jump and Shotput)
- 25, 30 Slalom, 100 and 200 Meter Non Motorized Wheelchair Race
- 10, 25 and 50 Meter Assisted Walk
- 30 and 50 Meter Motorized Wheelchair Slalom
- Standing Long Jump
- High Jump
- Softball Throw
- Tennis Ball Throw
Athletes may be entered into 2 events. The events that we will be offering are: 50M Run, 100M Run, 200M Run, 400M Run, 100M Walk, 400M Walk, 25M Assisted Race, 25M Non-Motorized, 30M Motorized Slalom, Tennis Ball Throw, Softball Throw, Mini Jav, and Standing Long Jump. Teams will arrive at their designated shift time, participate in their events, and then leave.
We will be using the outdoor track.
• Registration times for agencies will be staggered to allow for screening and social distancing guidelines
• Registration we will have a dedicated space available for teams to check in and be placed together by agency until it is time to begin. Upon arrival teams will be temperature screened. Once temperatures have been taken teams will move to separate staging areas. No coaches/athletes will enter a staging area until their temp has been taken by SO Staff. Athletes are to stage with their team only.
• Only 2-4 agencies will be there at a time.
• Since we will need multiple shifts, equipment will be sanitized between agencies.
** Paperwork is due 4/9. Will have schedule once all paperwork is turned in
Athletes are responsible for bringing their own Personal Protective Equipment and water. No food or water will be provided.
Final Divisions will be created after the competition based on final score. Ribbons will be sent to all coaches. There will not be an awards ceremony.
Special Olympics is a global organization that unleashes the human spirit through the transformative power and joy of sport, every day around the world. Special Olympics Illinois is a not-for-profit organization offering year-round training and competition in 18 sports for more than 23,000 athletes with intellectual disabilities and 13,000 Young Athletes ages 2-7 with and without intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics transforms the lives of people with intellectual disabilities, allowing them to realize their full potential in sports and in life. Special Olympics programs enhance physical fitness, motor skills, self-confidence, social skills and encourage family and community support.
Masks must be worn: at tournament central, team staging areas, entering the facility to use the restrooms, in the restrooms, staging areas, during the competition and at any time or place when social distancing is not an option. Special Olympics will not be providing masks. Athletes and coaches must bring their own.
To make sure we abide by the in-person maximum set by the IDPH, parents and spectators are unfortunately not allowed to attend and only registered athletes, coaches and partners are allowed at the event. It is very important you relay to all parents and guardians the importance of only allowing registered persons into the event.
Special Olympics Illinois is committed to providing the best athlete, volunteer, coach and supporter environment possible. While we are excited to resume in-person events, the health and well-being of our constituents remains our top priority. All of our in-person events follow the COVID-19 recommended IDPH and CDC guidelines.