The Coaches Education system was developed by Special Olympics Inc. to improve the training experience for Special Olympics coaches. Through coaching education and certification, coaches are able to enhance their skills while helping athletes reach their sport potential.
The system was designed with options for individuals with and without sport experience. Depending on the coaching background, a training program is available to fit an individual’s coaching needs.
Basic Education Courses:
- General Orientation – click the link to take the training online
- Sport Specific Skills Course
- Principles of Coaching
- Unified Sports
- Online Trainings (please contact your Regional Sports Manager). Count towards renewal.
- Clinics or courses offered by a National Governing Body (NGB) count towards renewal. The NGB Course Verification Form must be submitted to your Regional Training Manager to receive credit.
Certifications are valid for four years from the training date.
Why Become Certified
Completion of coach certification for each sport is highly recommended but not yet required. However, the Coaches Education System is also a means of tracking certification and rewarding those who continue their sport education. Coaches interested in serving as a USA Games or World Games coach for Team Illinois or Special Olympics USA must be certified in the sport they are applying for.
- Brianna Beers – Northern Regional Manager of Sports Training – 847-845-6481
- Carolyn Klocek – Central Regional Manager of Sports Training – 309-888-2598
- Morgan White – Southern Regional Manager of Sports Training – 618-654-6680
Upcoming Certified Coach Training Opportunities
Special Olympics Illinois offers various training opportunities throughout the year and across all parts of the state. Many opportunities specifically target coaches but there are also activities that offer opportunities to athletes. The following is a list of upcoming training opportunities in the state: