The Coaches Education system was developed by Special Olympics Inc. to improve the training experience for Special Olympics coaches. Through coaching education and certification, coaches are able to enhance their skills while helping athletes reach their sport potential.
The system was designed with options for individuals with and without sport experience. Depending on the coaching background, a training program is available to fit an individual’s coaching needs.
Basic Education Courses and Resources:
- General Orientation
- General Orientation and Protective Behaviors Guide
- Quick Reference Coaching Guide
- Multi-Sport and Big Blue Coaches Training Videos
- Unified Sports NFHS Online Training Course
- Online Trainings (please contact your Regional Sports Manager). Count towards renewal.
- Clinics or courses offered by a National Governing Body (NGB) count towards renewal. The NGB Course Verification Form must be submitted to your Regional Training Manager to receive credit.
Certifications are valid for four years from the training date.
Why Become Certified?
Completion of coach certification for each sport is highly recommended but not yet required. However, the Coaches Education System is also a means of tracking certification and rewarding those who continue their sport education. Coaches interested in serving as a USA Games or World Games coach for Team Illinois or Special Olympics USA must be certified in the sport they are applying for.
Carolyn Cronin – Director – Coach & Health Services – 920-988-2838
Upcoming Certified Coach Training Opportunities
Special Olympics Illinois offers various training opportunities throughout the year and across all parts of the state. Many opportunities specifically target coaches but there are also activities that offer opportunities to athletes. The following is a list of upcoming training opportunities in the state:
Please stay tuned for upcoming coaches training, dates are still TBA
[ai1ec view=”stream” cat_name=”coaches-training”]