What is the Law Enforcement Torch Run?
The Law Enforcement Torch Run is the single largest year-round fundraising movement benefiting Special Olympics Illinois. The Torch Run has two goals – to raise money and to gain awareness for the athletes who participate in Special Olympics Illinois.
The Law Enforcement Torch Run includes an annual intrastate relay conducted by officers representing every branch of law enforcement within the state as well as our federal partners. Approximately 3,000 officers carry the Flame of Hope nearly 1,500 miles, running through thousands of Illinois communities via 23 different legs (routes) to its final destination – the Opening Ceremony of the Special Olympics Illinois Summer Games in Normal.
In addition, the Law Enforcement Torch Run hosts a variety of annual fundraising events including Polar Plunges, Dunkin’ Cop on a Rooftop, Tip-A-Cop events, Truck Convoys and Plane Pull events. Since 1986, the Law Enforcement Torch Run has raised more than $65 million while increasing awareness of Special Olympics Illinois athletes and their accomplishments.
The Illinois Law Enforcement Torch Run has selected “Guardians of the Flame” as the theme for 2023 and will be using #ILTorchRun23 on social media to inspire officers and departments to spread the word about how the Torch Run transforms the lives of Special Olympics athletes in Illinois.
Follow the Illinois Torch Run on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date on events and activities.
2023 Law Enforcement Torch Run Goals
- Become and remain the top Torch Run fundraising program in the world!
- Host the 2023 LETR International Conference with 1,000 law
enforcement partners in attendance
- Maintain raising a minimum of $4.5 million per year for the athletes of SOILL
- Increased presence at SOILL local and state competitions
- Cultivate & develop more Officer participation at LETR events
- Foster LETR sponsorship, with a goal of $75,000 in new support
- Work with ILACP and ISA leadership to identify opportunities to
expand LETR recruitment efforts among their members with the goal
of 25 new departments (state-wide) involved in the TR in 2023 (see inactive dept./agency list
- Each new department will have a goal to raise a minimum of $4,000 in
- LETR Leg Leaders and Department Liaisons who may no longer fulfill
their role shall identify, recruit & train a replacement to keep the LETR
effort in their agency alive and growing
- Utilize new online Torch Run merchandise ordering format to monitor
statewide inventory while encouraging responsible ordering of
merchandise for events to limit year-end excess to less than 1,000
- Increased brand recognition of the online merchandise store
- Minimum of $55,000 profit from the Harley-Davidson raffle
- LETR Plane Pulls to raise minimum of $300,000
- LETR Truck Convoy to raise minimum of $200,000
- LETR Five-O Racing to raise minimum of $250,000
- Minimum of $40,000 profit from the Camper raffle
- Partner with Dunkin’ to cover 325 Cop on Rooftop locations that raise $900,000