What is the Law Enforcement Torch Run?
The Law Enforcement Torch Run is the single largest year-round fundraising movement benefiting Special Olympics Illinois. The Torch Run has two goals – to raise money and to gain awareness for the athletes who participate in Special Olympics Illinois.
The Law Enforcement Torch Run includes an annual intrastate relay conducted by officers representing every branch of law enforcement within the state as well as our federal partners. Approximately 3,000 officers carry the Flame of Hope nearly 1,500 miles, running through thousands of Illinois communities via 23 different legs (routes) to its final destination – the Opening Ceremony of the Special Olympics Illinois Summer Games in Normal.
Due to the pandemic, the Illinois Law Enforcement Torch Run intrastate relay will be held in a hybrid format the week of June 21st in conjunction with the 2021 Special Olympics Illinois Virtual Summer Games.
In addition, the Law Enforcement Torch Run hosts a variety of annual fundraising events including Polar Plunges, Dunkin’ Cop on Rooftop, Tip-A-Cop events, Truck Convoys and Plane Pull events. Since 1986, the Law Enforcement Torch Run has raised more than $59 million while increasing awareness of Special Olympics Illinois athletes and their accomplishments.
The Illinois Law Enforcement Torch Run has selected “Guardians of the Flame” as the theme for 2021 and will be using #ILTorchRun21 on social media to inspire officers and departments to spread the word about how the Torch Run transforms the lives of Special Olympics athletes in Illinois.
2021 Law Enforcement Torch Run Goals
- Become and remain the top Torch Run fundraising program in the world!
- Maintain raising a minimum of $4 million per year for the athletes of SOILL
- Increased presence at SOILL local and state competitions
- Maintain current participation levels of LETR program
- Minimum of $60,000 profit from the Harley-Davidson raffle
- LETR Plane Pull to raise minimum of $100,000
- LETR Truck Convoy to raise minimum of $155,000
- Minimum of $50,000 profit from the Camper raffle
- Partner with Dunkin’ to cover 275 Cop on Rooftop locations that raise $750,000
- Cultivate statewide LETR sponsorship, with a goal of $75,000 in new support
- Each Leg Leader will be responsible for recruiting new departments as well as maintaining/motivating current LETR program into the Torch Run with the goal of a 25 new departments (state-wide) involved in the TR in 2021 (see inactive dept./agency list)
- New departments will have a goal to raise a minimum of $3,000 each in 2021
- Annual Polar Plunge Statewide Goals: 4,500, $1.3 million
- Torch Run Leg Leaders and Department Liaisons who may no longer fulfill their role are encouraged to recruit & train a replacement keeping the LETR effort in their agency alive and growing
- Utilize new online Torch Run merchandise ordering format to monitor statewide inventory. Encourage responsible ordering of merchandise for events to prevent excess year-end inventory.
- Work with ILACP and ISA leadership to identify opportunities to expand LETR recruitment efforts among their members
- Increased brand recognition of the online merchandise store