ISU & Special Olympics Illinois
About Special Olympics Illinois
“Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt”
Special Olympics Illinois serves more than 22,500 athletes and more than 20,000 Young Athlete in Illinois. We host 290 competitions a year as well as many other events in support of our various initiatives. We need the help of volunteers like you to run these events!
Provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community. – Special Olympics Illinois Mission
- 22,647 athletes (children and adults) with intellectual disabilities
- 19,927 Young Athletes ages 2-7 with and without intellectual disabilities
- 45,800 volunteers and coaches
- 290 competitions each year
- 17 Olympic-type sports
- REAL SPORTS:Deliver high-quality training and competition in an inclusive culture that stresses athletic excellence, rewards determination, emphasizes health and celebrates achievement.
- ATHLETE HEALTH:Promote the overall well-being of people with intellectual disabilities via programs that ensure ongoing access to quality, community-based health care services, highlighted by free health screenings at Special Olympics competitions, games and other venues.
- TRANSFORMATIVE EDUCATION:Equip young people and adult influencers with effective tools and training to create sports, classrooms and community actions that produce friendships and acceptance, driving positive attitude and behavioral change.
- BUILD COMMUNITIES:Marshal resources, implement diverse programming and act as a convening power of stakeholders to drive positive attitudinal and behavioral change toward people with intellectual disabilities in communities statewide, strengthening the fabric of society
How YOU Can Get Involved!
Service Project Opportunities
- Special Olympics 50th Anniversary – ISU Campus Celebration Project
- Special Olympics International & Special Olympics Illinois are uniting to host a week of exciting events to celebrate the first 50 years and to launch the movement into the future. We are looking for creative ISU students to work with SO staff & athletes to create a plan for campus-wide involvement.
- ISU Global Messenger Partner –
- We are looking for students to work with our Special Olympics Global Messengers on their speeches and presentations.
- ISU Guest Blogger –
- Special Olympics is looking for real stories from real volunteers. We will partner you with current ISU/Special Olympics volunteers who you will then interview and write about. *Special Olympics will provide templates.
- Become an ISU Social Media Ambassador for Special Olympics
- Donate your voice! As a SOILL Social Media Ambassador, you can help raise awareness, donations, and digital relationships.
Questions? Email Teresa Crudele email@example.com or call at (312) 405-7335.
Region G Event & Volunteer Opportunities
Meet your Special Olympics Illinois Region G Directors, Jim & Bailey
ISU students are creating a more accepting and inclusion community for all, and we want to see it! Tag your photos & videos on social with #unifiedISU for a chance to win Special Olympics Illinois swag and gift cards throughout the year.
Region G Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SOILLRegionG/