What is the Law Enforcement Torch Run®?
The Law Enforcement Torch Run is the single largest year-round fundraising movement benefiting Special Olympics Illinois. The Torch Run has two goals – to raise money and to gain awareness for the athletes who participate in Special Olympics Illinois. The LETR has raised more than $47 million over 32 years while increasing awareness of Special Olympics athletes and their accomplishments.
The Torch Run includes an annual intrastate relay conducted by officers representing every branch of law enforcement across the state from local police officers to FBI agents. Approximately 3,000 officers will carry the Flame of Hope nearly 1,500 miles from June 10 – 15, running through thousands of Illinois communities via 23 different legs (routes) to its final destination – the Opening Ceremony of the Special Olympics Illinois Summer Games on June 7 in Normal.
In addition, the Law Enforcement Torch Run hosts a variety of annual fundraising events including Polar Plunges, Dunkin’ Donuts Cop on Rooftop, Texas Roadhouse Benefit Lunch, Truck Convoy and Plane Pull events. Since 1986, the Law Enforcement Torch Run has raised nearly $51 million while increasing awareness of Special Olympics Illinois athletes and their accomplishments.
The Law Enforcement Torch Run has selected “Guardians of the Flame” as the theme for 2019 and will be using #ILTorchRun on social media to inspire officers and departments to spread the word about how the Torch Run transforms the lives of Special Olympics athletes in Illinois.
2018 Law Enforcement Torch Run Goals
- Become and remain the top Torch Run fundraising program in the world!
- Maintain raising a minimum of $4.6 million per year for the athletes of SOILL
- Increased presence at SOILL local and state competitions
- Minimum increase of 5% total dollars raised per leg
- Minimum of $100,000 profit from the Harley-Davidson raffle
- LETR Plane Pull to raise minimum of $210,000
- LETR Truck Convoy to raise minimum of $75,000
- Minimum of $45,000 profit from the UTV raffle
- Partner with Dunkin’ Donuts to cover 280 Cop on Rooftop locations that raise $860,000
- Cultivate statewide LETR sponsorship, with a goal of $100,000 in new support
- Each Leg Leader will be responsible for recruiting new departments into the Torch Run with the goal of a 15% increase (state-wide) in new agencies involved in the TR in 2019(see inactive dept./agency list)
- New departments will have a goal to raise a minimum of $1,000 each in 2019
- Annual Polar Plunge Statewide Goals: 7,000, $2.0 million
- Torch Run Leg Leaders and Department Liaisons who may no longer fulfill their role are encouraged to recruit & train a replacement keeping the LETR effort in their agency alive and growing
- Utilize new online Torch Run merchandise ordering format to monitor statewide inventory resulting in a 25% reduction of year-end excess TR merchandise (remember you are responsible for all TR merchandise you check out)
- Work with ILACP leadership to identify opportunities to expand LETR recruitment efforts among their members
- Torch Run merchandise integrated into the SOILL online store
Law Enforcement Torch Run® Sponsorship
The Illinois Torch Run would not be as successful as it is without the support of the law enforcement community and sponsors.