Mobile App Among Changes for 2014 Summer Games
Now that all Spring Games have been completed, with about 10,000 athletes competing at the grass-roots level, it’s time to look forward to the 2014 Special Olympics Illinois Summer Games.
Athletes who received a gold medal in the sports of aquatics, athletics, gymnastics, powerlifting or soccer at Spring Games or District competition qualified for the Summer Games June 13-15 at Illinois State University and Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington-Normal. Approximately 4,000 athletes from across the state are expected to converge for three days of exciting competition, a thrilling Opening Ceremonies and, of course, the always memorable “Victory Dance” on Saturday evening at Hancock Stadium.
New this year will be a Summer Games mobile app to provide attendees a variety of up-to-date information about the Games. The 2014 Special Olympics Illinois Summer Games mobile app is expected to launch in the beginning of June.
Want to know when the 2014 Special Olympics Illinois Summer Games app is live? Text “WIN” to “50555” to join our VIP Mobile Community & have a chance to win an iPad mini.
The app will feature:
- Interactive schedules
- Events Listings – Search capability, rating of events and event handouts
- Community Photos– users can take pictures and upload them into a live feed
- Alerts/special text messaging
- Social Media Feeds
- Friends 2.0 – users can find and add friends (coaches, parents, athletes, etc.).
- Special Offers – discounts to entertainment, Restaurants, shows, etc. (when available)
- Families Center
- Souvenir Store
- Static maps of the venues
Our goal with this app is to help deliver a more personalized Summer Games experience and improve future events for our athletes & fans.
Other changes for 2014 Summer Games include:
- Due to construction at Watterson, athlete housing will be on both ISU and IWU campuses
- Construction on the football stadium is complete and we’ll have access to both sides of the stadium
- The bocce venue has moved back to the soccer stadium at ISU
- The Snyder group has sponsored Olympic Town this year and revamped the offerings. Olympic Town will be open extended hours on Friday and Saturday – 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday and 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday
- The final schedule is tentatively scheduled to be out on Friday, June 6.