Summer Games Volunteers
We are so excited you’ve decided to volunteer for the 2016 Summer Games! This is our largest event and we could not make it happen without YOU! We hope you find this page a helpful tool as you plan your volunteering experience with us.
If you haven’t signed up to volunteer yet or know someone who is interested, please click here to register. After June 8th, you will no longer be able to register online, registration will be onsite only. Just show up to the main volunteer tent on ISU’s campus next to Horton Fieldhouse (see map below) and we will assign you a role.
Please also take a few minutes to read through the Summer Games Volunteer Handbook and Summer Games Volunteer Job Descriptions (see Supporting Documents below) as they contain valuable information that will help prepare you for your role.
Venues & Check In Locations
IMPORTANT: Please be aware that because there are multiple venues and multiple places to check in for your shift. Please use the list below and pay close attention to where you need to check in; there are long lines during the check in process and it is important to be in the correct line so that you are on time for your shift. Please use the information and the parking map below to help you figure out where to check in before your shift begins.
Please check in at your assigned venue. Note: Assignment number corresponds with location number on the map below.
1. Volunteer Central – Volunteer Tent at ISU
- Family Registration & Picnic
- Olympic Town Midway
- Opening Ceremonies
- Soccer Skills
- Softball/Tennis Ball Throw
- Standing Long Jump
- Young Athletes
2. Athletics Table – Volunteer Tent at ISU
- High Jump
- Running Long Jump
- Shot Put
- Track Events
3. Bocce – ISU Soccer Stadium, East gate
4. Powerlifting – Kingsley Junior High Gym, 303 Kingsley St., Normal
5. Medical – Tent at north side of North Gym, ISU
6. Aquatics – Normal West High School, 501 N. Parkside, Normal
7. Healthy Athletes – Redbird Arena, Lower Concourse
Everyone must obey parking regulations since summer school will be in session at ISU and employees will be reporting to work. Approved parking lots are shown below.
- No parking in lots designated for faculty and staff (identified by red signs) except for Lots M83, U83 and F83S.
- No parking in spaces marked “Reserved.”
- Car parking will be allowed in Lots F62, F64, G24, G53, G73, G81, G83, G86, G87, G91, and S67.
- If you park at a meter, you must feed it.
- Cars parked in lots not approved for Special Olympics may be ticketed. Tickets will be the responsibility of the owner. Be aware that ISU may tow illegally parked cars.
- Parking will also be available at Kingsley Jr. High.
Park & Ride Shuttle
Special Olympics will operate a park & ride shuttle from Fairview Aquatics Park, 800 N. Main Street, Normal, IL.
Hours of operation:
Friday: 10:00am – 5:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am – 4:00pm
What to Bring/Attire/Lunch
Please dress comfortably and according to the weather. You will receive a volunteer t-shirt that you are required to wear during your volunteer shift; there are nearby restrooms for changing.
You are not required to bring anything except for your ID when checking in. You are encouraged to leave personal items at home or locked in your vehicle as there isn’t anywhere for you to put them and keep an eye on them.
Lunch is for ALL DAY volunteers only. If you are only working one shift please do not take a lunch. This will throw our lunch count off and we may not have enough for our all day volunteers.
In the event of rain, all indoor and outdoor events WILL PROCEED as scheduled. Please be sure to report as assigned. In the event of severely inclement weather, it may be necessary to delay competition or reschedule events. We will need your support!
Thank you again for your time!