Unified Champion Schools Announced
Special Olympics Project UNIFY is an education and sports based strategy powered by an engaged youth community that increases athletic and leadership opportunities for students with and without intellectual disabilities. All of this success helps to create communities of acceptance for all.
In Illinois there are currently 160 Project UNIFY Schools across the state. Each of these schools utilizes provided tools and resources to create inclusive school communities through Unified Sports, Leadership opportunities and whole school involvement activities. Many schools across the state are empowering their students to engage in these opportunities and become true agents of change.
We are proud to recognize these schools with Unified Champion School Awards. The schools have risen to the top of the class providing true inclusive experiences to their students and excelling in all three categories of Project UNIFY activities. “We appreciate all they have done in their school community to activate their students and give them the tools, skills, dispositions and opportunities to build change and encourage a true culture of inclusiveness,” said Jen Marcello, Director of Young Athletes.
The following schools have been named Unified Champion Schools:
- Area 1 – Summerdale Early Learning Center
- Area 2 – Neuqua Valley High School
- Area 4 – Lincoln Elementary School
- Area 5 – Downers Grove South High School
- Area 6 – Parkside Elementary School
- Area 7 – Crete Monee Elementary School
- Area 8 – Kankakee High School
- Area 12 – Edwardsville High School
- Area 13 – Roslyn Road School
- Area 14 – Mt. Vernon High School
- Area 15 – Southern Illinois University
- Area 16 – Central Intermediate School
- Area 17 – Porta High School
- Area 18 – Hoffman Estates High School
For more information on Project UNIFY or becoming a Project UNIFY School, please contact Jen Marcello at 630-200-7693.